Tricks and Treats

Happy Halloween everyone! I was so glad that received our household goods in time to decorate, get our costumes and pumpkin carving stuff. Halloween is most definitely not celebrated in Korea so items were hard to come by.

We started off our Halloween festivities with the ward Fall Festival on the 23rd. We enjoyed the potluck activities and trick or treating from door to door in the building.

The kids made their own goody bags



And played carnival games like bean bag toss to win prizes.

There was a pumpkin carving contest but we hadn't had time to carve yet, nor did i want to travel with two carved pumpkins all the way to the church. But I had to take a picture of someone's clever apple carving. I loved it!


Finally Wednesday we did some carving of our own. Pumpkins were slim pickings at the Commissary and though we found some good sized ones, they weren't the healthiest. For that reason we kept our designs fairly simple this year.











Drum roll please...


....


....







Saturday night there was trick or treating in Hannam Village. Here's the boys with their spoils.




And here's the costumes! We all know Cade is obsessed with trains, so when I found someone selling this train conductor costume on the facebook flea market page here in Seoul I snatched it up.



Alex went to infinity and beyond with his hand me down Buzz Lightyear costume. He loved wearing it and was a trick or treating con-artist. Everyone would think he was so cute that they'd put a giant handful of candy in his bag, and then he'd reach in their bowl and grab some more! They'd all laugh and think it was so cute that they'd give him another handful! He came home with more candy than Cade!


Dan and I had a costume party after the trick or treating and the theme was Super Villains. Neither of us could find anything in Seoul so this is all our imaginations and things around the house.

We looked up Mario Villains and came up with Dan's costume of a Goomba!


My mom suggested I be Cruella DeVille, and I had the perfect formal dress to do it. It took a little creativity to get the hair. Some hairspray and baby powder made the white, and since I couldn't find black hairspray, mascara did the trick. I used all of my own clothes and jewelry and even gave my white stuffed animal some spots to give me a dalmation. The best part of the whole things was that I won best costume!




I hope you all had a great Halloween!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love Love Love your costume laura! So cool!! The boys look awesome too and Dan! Looks like you all had a lot of fun! We miss you ;)!

Alison Westermann said...

Awesome as always :) Even with "not-so-healthy" pumpkins, you still did an incredible design! I'm always impressed with your creativity!

Post a Comment

Our family

Our family

Check out me and my sister's craft blog!

What time is it in Korea?

Family and Friends